Parents of OP teen killed by police decry ‘shameful‘ treatment by police, prosecutors

The parents of Overland Park teenager John Albers went on Facebook Monday to decry the “shameful” treatment they say was dealt them by police and prosecutors after their son

Steve and Sheila Albers wrote, “We are still shocked by the way we have been treated by our local government officials, and their casual dismissal of John‘s death.”

John Albers was killed when an Overland Park police officer fired 13 shots into the family‘s minivan as the teenager backed the van out of their garage Jan. 20.

The officer was one of the first responders to a radio dispatch that said that Albers was threatening suicide. The officer stepped to the side of the van and fired the shots into the moving van.


Help us deliver journalism that makes a difference in our community.

Our journalism takes a lot of time, effort, and hard work to produce. If you read and enjoy our journalism, please consider subscribing today.

Johnson County District Attorney Steve Howe announced his finding Feb. 20 after a multi-jurisdictional investigation that the officer‘s shooting was justified because the officer reasonably believed his life was in danger.

John Albers Legacy

The family has contested that finding, April 17 against Overland Park and the officer, Clayton Jenison, saying the officer was never in danger for his life and used excessive and unnecessary force.

In their Facebook post, the Albers not only restated many of the claims in the lawsuit, but aired their grievances about how Howe handled videos that showed the shooting.

Phone messages from The Star directly to Howe and to his office had not been returned Monday evening.

The Albers said Howe did not give the family enough advance warning that the two police dashcam videos were going to be made public, and they say he withheld a third video that was taken from a neighbor‘s doorbell camera.

The doorbell camera, whose footage was described in the lawsuit, “recorded a series of events that are not complementary (sic) to the OPPD and contradicts their narrative,” the Albers‘ Facebook post said.

Howe gathered the Albers in a conference room at 9 a.m. on Feb. 20, the day he announced no charges would be filed against the officer, and told the family he was releasing the dashcam videos, the Albers said.

Meanwhile, they said, reporters were gathering at the courthouse for a 10:30 a.m. press conference where Howe‘s findings, and the videos, would be publicized.

“Mr. Howe released the video on live television before we were given the opportunity to warn family, friends or John‘s classmates of the graphic nature.”

“The manner in which it was released was shameful,” they said.